I tried another version of socks I’ve been trying to size down beyond small.
On this attempt I am using the same yarn as the earlier version: my own 1 ply 70/30 Wool/Nylon fingering weight, dyed in Reddish Brown. And I am using the 54 needle cylinder and 36 slot ribber dial on the Legare 400.
For this pair I began with a 2 x 1 rib for 25 rows, and then, instead of switching to stockinette went to a 5:1 rib for the leg and top of the foot.
The resulting sock is about 1/4 inch narrower on the leg, and a bit less than that on the foot, as compared to the same yarn/pattern done in stockinette.
I’m not sure if that is ‘enough slimmer’ – will have to have it test driven!
And, since the purpose of the socks if Hiking, I’ll also have to find out if the purl stitches are an irritant.
If I had a 27 slot ribber dial, I would have done a 1:1 topper and 3:1 leg/instep – but I don’t. (Trying to find one.)
And a suggestion from a reader to try using every other slot on the 80 cylinder is worth a try. I don’t have an 80 but I’ve got an 84, so half of that would be 42 stitchs, a good drop down from 54. This would be a reduced size without the purl stitches.