I’m experimenting with Lycra. My first trial was with Cashmara Laceweight – 590 yds/4 oz.
To compare against, I took a pair of socks already knit from the same batch of yarn, in this case size XSmall (Ladies’ Shoe 4 – 5).
For my trial pair I added a single strand of 140 denier lycra, fed through a bit of sponge crammed in the second feed hole of the yarn mast, thence through the final feed slot and heel spring along with the sock yarn (so, the same way I use Wooly Nylon).
I knit my trial pair on the same cylinder (54) using the exact same pattern and the exact same tension as the comparison pair.
Here are my results (with-Lycra sock on top of non-Lycra sock):
Both the non-Lycra and the with-Lycra pair are washed on gentle cycle and dried flat.. I don’t have kid size blockers, so only the XS pair is blocked.
The with-Lycra pair has the lycra right from beginning to end, including the Kitchener stitching (which was a little finicky but only took me a few extra minutes and this was my first effort.)
I’ve read anecdotes from others about steaming to activate the lycra. I tried steaming and it didn’t have an effect – so either I read about some other kind of lycra, or using it under tension (by feeding through the bit of sponge) took the place of the steam.
I’m going to try repeating this exercise, but without adding any tension to the lycra – and see what difference(s) occur.
I’d be pleased to hear the experiences any readers have had with this stuff.