Here are my Coffee Cup Sox – well, one of them – that are my entry into the coffee cup theme competition at the Toronto One of a Kind show.
I hope the photo actually appears! I’m blogging from my bb as isp has been down, yet again, for 6 days.
I adapted a pattern from Jenny Deters ( www.spinsister.com ) I took the argyle pattern on the foldover cuff, and replaced the center part of the motif with my crude coffee cup.
To get the coffee cups upright and to avoid a million ends showing inside the sock – I began with Jenny’s pattern for the foldover cuff and intarsia knit diamonds. But I left the coffee cups off.
After knitting to the point of hanging the hem, I tied on scrap and knit the topper of the csm, much like I do with thigh highs. Then I duplicate stitched the little coffee cups and rehung the work on my cylinder. After a few rows knitting I hung the hem. This placed all my ends inside the cuff, out of sight.
The rest of the sock is pretty basic. As this is a smaller ladies size, and for some visual interest, I started a 5:1 mock rib a few rows after hanging the hem. I carried this on until 30 rows before the heel – at that point I changed the top of the foot side to 2:1 and went to stockinette on the back/bottom.
All knitting done on the 72 cylinder.
The coffee coloured yarn is my own fingering weight 75/25 wool/nylon, dyed in actual Hazelnut Vanilla coffee. The argyle diamonds are 100% Milk from Viking of Norway, and the coffee cups are 100% spun sugar from Araucania’s Ruca Mully.
The sugar was hard to work with for duplicate stitching. It has many fine strands that don’t really stay plied. And using a dk-sport weight to duplicate stitch into a fingering weight – well it was trying at times!